Triund Trek, Mcleodganj
Bhagsunag Taxi point
Best time to visit
Summer, Spring, Autumn
The most popular and easiest trek in the Himalayas, Triund trek offers charming scenery and glorious views of Kangra Valley and snow covered Dhauladhar ranges. Triund is a small village with Rhodeodaran, deodar, oak, and pine forest all around. Located at an altitude of 9,350 ft, Triund top is the best option for beginners who are looking for a weekend getaway in the Himalayas.
Triund trek from Mcleodganj starts from the biggest waterfall in Mcleodganj- Bhagsu Nag. The trail in this trek is short and covered with rhododendron and oak trees. Multiple species of birds can also be spotted in the region making it an amazing experience for bird lovers. The sunset from the campsite is the main highlight of Triund from Mcleodganj along with the night sky with shimmering starlight making Triund camping a picturesque experience for the trekkers.
Note- If you are a group of 2 or more people, the trek can be organized anyday.
Triund trek distance: 14 km
Triund trek difficulty: Easy
Triund temperature: 14 to 25 degree celsius in the daytime & 1 to 7 degrees in nighttime.
Triund trek height: 9,350 ft
Triund trek best time: All year except the monsoon(July, Aug) & Winter(Jan, Feb)
Day 1: Triund from Mcleodganj
- Trek distance: 7 km; trek time: 5-6 hrs
- Altitude: 6,831 ft to 9,350 ft
- Meals: Evening snacks and dinner
Day 2: Triund top to Mcleodganj
- Trek distance: 7 km; trek time: 5-6 hrs
- Altitude: 9,350 ft to 6,831 ft
- Meals: Breakfast
Day 1: Triund from Mcleodganj
- Start your Triund trek from Bhagsu Nag taxi stand in Mcleodganj. Meet your trek leader. After the briefing session, start your trek to Triund.
- The trek trail is easy except for some stretches and the total Triund trek distance is 7 km on this day. While on the trek, walk through the dense forests of pine and enjoy the stunning views of the valley.
- It takes around 5-6 hours to reach Triund top.
- Enroute take a pit stop at the famous Magic view cafe.
- Upon reaching the top, enjoy the breathtaking views of Dhauladhar Ranges.
- Check-in to camp, freshen up, and have some leisure.
- Enjoy the dinner with a bonfire under the sky full of stars.
- Experience Triund camping with an overnight stay in camps.
Day 2: Triund to Mcleodganj
- Wake up and enjoy the beautiful sunrise and stunning views of the snow- clad mountains of Dhauladhar.
- After breakfast, start your downhill trek towards Mcleodganj.
- Reach Mcleodganj by afternoon. Bid a warm farewell to the fellow trekkers.
- Trek ends here.
How to reach?
By Air: Gaggal Airport or Kangra Airport at Dharamshala is about 20 km away from McLeod Ganj and is well connected to Delhi, Kullu and Chandigarh. Airlines like Air India Regional, SpiceJet Airlines operate regular flights from these cities for Dharmshala. After reaching the airport, traveler can hire taxis or take buses to reach their destination, which takes around an hour.
By Train: Pathankot Railway Station, situated approximately 90 km away, is the closest broad gauge railhead serving those headed to McLeod Ganj. Some of the popular trains available.
By Road: A number of state owned and private buses connect McLeod Ganj with other cities like Delhi (500 km), Chandigarh (250 km) and Dharamshala (20 km). In New Delhi, most of the buses leave from the Kashmiri Gate ISBT and Majnu-ka-Tilla (a Tibetian camp). Deluxe buses of Himachal Pradesh Tourism are also available from Himachal Bhawan. One can also drive to McLeod Ganj from Delhi via NH 1, a journey of about 10 hours.
Things to Carry
- Track Pants
- At Least 3 pair of Coon Socks
- Pair of Woolen Socks
- 1 Full Sleeve Sweater or Fleece Jacket
- 1 Heavy Jacket
- 1 Pair of Thermal
- Quick-dry towel
- Windproof Jacket
- Woolen Cap
- Sun Cap
- 1 ScaLight towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & SunScreen (SPF 40+)
- Packed food
- Water Bottle 1 Lt.
- Personal Toiletries
- Personal Basic Medical Kit
- Dark Sunglasses / People who use spectacles (Use Photochromic glasses contact lens)
- Trekking Pole
- Extra Polythene
- Accommodation in camps(double/triple sharing)
- Evening snack and dinner on day 1
- Breakfast on day 2
- Certified guides
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Major trekking equipment
- Safety gear
- Any food item or other purchases made during the trek
- Anything that is not mentioned in inclusions
- Mules or Porters to carry personal luggage and other items on trek
- Rent gear: You can reduce your hassle of buying gear like trek pants, jackets, shoes and rent them for the trek at additional cost. (Pricing will be updated soon)
- Guests must be vaccinated with both doses of Covid vaccine.
- The organization reserves the rights to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
- In unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, the trek may get canceled or altered. In such cases, the operator will try to provide with an alternate option. However, a cash refund will not be applicable in this situation.
- If cancellation are made 30 days before the date of travel then 25.0% of total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellation are made 15 days to 30 days before the date of travel then 50.0% of total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellation are made 0 days to 15 days before the date of travel then 100.0% of total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
The trek can be opted all around year except for the monsoon months which are July, August & September. In the winters, trek can be closed for a few days due to heavy snowfall in the months of Dec and Jan.
The difficulty level of the trek is easy. The trail has few steep ascents that a beginner can easily walk on making it the best option for beginners.
Triund is located in Dhauladhar mountains and famously known for its adventure activities for travelers. It’s most famous for its trek to Triund top which is a very easy and short duration trek and attracts many people from nearby states
The trek is led by professional trek leaders who have completed basic and advanced mountaineering courses. Apart from them, there will be a local guide, a cook, a helper and a porter along with you.
Usually, we take 22-24 people in one batch including males and females. We need a minimum of 6 people for a fixed departure, but for the customized trip, the group size doesn’t matter.
Absolutely. The safety of girls is of foremost importance to us. We always create a friendly environment on the trek. All our guides and other support crew are carefully chosen for your trips. They are very honest and reliable, but we would also advise you to take care of your personal belongings.
No, Female trekkers share tents with female co-trekkers. If you are the only girl on the trek, you get a separate tent for yourself.
The minimum age requirement is 8 years and the maximum age depends on the trekker's fitness.
Indian vegetarian food is served during the trek which is recommended to get all the necessary nutritions required at a high altitude.
The total Triund trek distance that needs to be covered to be completed in two days is 14 kilometers. You’ll trek for 7 km each day of your trek.
The weather in Triund is cool and comfortable around the year, except for chilly winter months. Snowfall occurs heavily in the months of Jan and Feb.
The distance from the base point to the top is approximately 7 km which can be covered within a period of 5-6 hours.
Yes. Triund receives snowfall from the end of December till the month of February. The trek may even be closed for a few days due to heavy snowfall.
The maximum altitude of the Triund peak is almost 9350 feet above sea level.
Yes, camping is allowed in Triund. You can stay here overnight in tents with your friends or solo.
In the month of March to June, Triund temperature is cozy and you will be surrounded by a pleasant climatic condition. During winters in the months of December,January and February one can expect a snowfall at Triund. The highest average temperature is 38°C in June and the lowest is 18°C in January.
When going for the Triund trekking experience, you must know that you will be facing colder climatic conditions, therefore your clothing needs to be warm. From fleece jackets to layer-able clothes, these items are a must. You should bring woolen clothes while making sure that you pack extra. In addition to this, items like woolen caps, gloves, socks, etc are also a must.
A good trekking shoe is a must for your trek. While you are heading for this trek, choose trekking shoes that are flexible and have good ankle support. Also, see that they are water-resistant. Quechua Forclaz 100 high will be a good option for you.
During the months of January and February, there is heavy snowfall and the trekking routes are cut off during that time. In these months, the temperature can drop to -5 degrees at night.
Yes, Triund is open all year around. But one can avoid trekking activity during the monsoon season. At that time, the rocks will be slippery in some places. Moreover, the place is kept closed when there is heavy snowfall.