Kheerganga Trek, Kasol
Situated at a height of 9600 ft and deep in the Parvati Valley, Kheerganga trek is a well-known experience in Himachal Pradesh. This trek neither requires previous experience nor too much time to explore making it a perfect weekend experience to go for. The trek starts from Barshaini, situated at a distance of 17 km from Kasol.
Often called a nature paradise, Kheerganga trek route takes you to a journey through verdant oak trees, waterfalls, and majestic landscapes of Himachal. Once you reach Kheerganga, take a dip in the Parvati Kund(natural hot water springs) while you gaze at the snow-peaks of Himalayas. Spend your night under the star studded sky with Kheerganga camping.
Kheerganga trek distance: 24 km
Kheerganga trek temperature: Day- 8 degrees to 15 degrees, Night- 0 degree to 3 degrees
Kheerganga trek height: 9,650 ft
Kheerganga trek difficulty level: Easy
Kheerganga trek best time: Whole year except monsoon
Day 1: Kasol to Kheerganga
- Pick up point- Kasol main market
- Pick up time- 7 AM
- Trek start time- 9 AM
- Distance covered- 12 km
- Altitude- 5183 ft to 7224 ft to 9650 ft
- Meals- Lunch and dinner
Day 2: Trek Back to Kasol
- Trek down after breakfast
- Transfer to Kasol
Day 1: Kasol to Kheerganga
- Get ready to be picked up from Kasol main market in the morning.
- Reach Barshani in approx 1 hour and meet your guides.
- This 12 km will take you around 5-6 hours to complete.
- Start your trek after a briefing session from the guides.
- Trek through the forest with the company of Parvati river.
- Reach the campsite and relax for a while.
- Head towards Parvati Kund, which is the highlight of this trek.
- Have lunch with the breathtaking view of the Himalayas.
- Explore the surroundings in the evening.
- Have dinner and retire for the night.
Day 2: Trek Back to Kasol
- Have breakfast and start your trek back to Barshaini.
- Get transferred to Kasol and end your Kheerganga trekking experience.
How to reach?
By Air: Bhuntar Airport near Kullu is the nearest from Kasol. You can take a domestic flight from Delhi till the Bhuntar Airport and then complete the remaining journey by bus or a taxi.
By Train: The nearest railway stations from Kasol are in Pathankot and Joginder Nagar. After getting off at these railheads, you will have to board a bus or hire a taxi to Kasol.
By Road: This is the fastest and direct way to reach Kasol. Many governments and private bus services ply from all parts of India, including Delhi to Kasol. You can also hire a direct taxi from Delhi.
Things to Carry
- Rucksack (Min 55 Ltrs with rain cover)
- Trekking Shoes, Floaters or Sandals
- Quick Dry Tees
- Track Pants
- Cotton socks
- Pair of woolen socks
- Rain jacket or Poncho
- 1 Full Sleeves Sweater or Fleece Jacket,1 Heavy Jacket, 1 Pair of Thermal
- Quick-dry towel
- Windproof Jacket
- Woolen Cap
- Sun Cap
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & SunScreen (SPF 40+)
- Packed food
- Water Bottle 1
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toiletries
- Personal Basic Medical Kit
- People who use spectacles (Use Photochromic glasses instead of contact lenses)
- Trekking Pole
- Extra Polythene
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any food item or other purchases made during the trek and the drive
- Mules or Porters to carry personal luggage and other items on trek
- Rent gear: You can reduce the hassle of buying gear like trek pants, jackets, shoes and rent them for the trek at an additional cost.
- RT-PCR negative certification: This is mandatory for goSTOPS treks. Without it, you will not be allowed to join us. You are exempted only if you’ve taken two doses of vaccine or were infected with COVID-19 in the last three months.
- If cancellation is made 30 days before the date of travel, 25% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
- If cancellation is made 15 to 30 days before the date of travel, 50% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
- If cancellation is made 0 to 15 days before the date of travel, 100% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
- The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kheerganga trek best time is all around the year except the months of July, August, and September because of monsoons.
Kheerganga trek distance is 24 km(both ways) which takes 2 days to complete.
In summers(March to June) the temperature ranges from 13 degrees to 35 degrees.
In winters(October to February) the temperature ranges from -4 degrees to 10 degrees.
Going to Kheerganga is a commendable choice as it is a fairly easy trek with some patches ranging to a little moderate in difficulty. A person must be in in average physical and mental state to embark on this trek.
The trek requires you to come fully prepared, and so the things and equipments that you must definitely carry with you are - an ideal sized backpack to carry all your essentials and still be light, hiking or trekking shoes with good grip, water bottle, a jacket and a pullover to keep you warm, comfortable clothes, track pants, toiletries and personal medication, some snacks, pocket charger, torch with extra batteries, camera, and other small tools as per requirement.
The best suited shoes for the Kheerganga trek route are the ones that are breathable and light in weight. Also, ankle support is a very important thing to take care of while buying the perfect pair of shoes. You can go for brands like- Decathlon, Wildcraft, Quechua, etc. In the winters, you’ll require gators or gumboots which you can rent from the base village
Kasol witnesses snow-fall in the winter from November till February. In these months, many areas of the village get covered in snow, which makes it a little difficult to explore the place.
The highest altitude of this trek is 9950 ft and the total distance covered will be 24 km.
Yes, the trek is available all around the year because of its pleasant weather all year. Although it’s advised to not opt for this in the months of monsoons, the trek will also be available for a few days at the time of heavy snowfalls in winter.
Follow all the instructions from your guides.
The stay will be in camps on double/triple sharing so one must not expect any luxuries. Kheerganga camping is a very unique experience.
The trek is easy but still, trekkers need a basic level of fitness for this trek.
The climatic conditions in the mountains can change from time to time, so please pack your bags accordingly.