Kareri Lake Trek, Mcleodganj
Mcleodganj Main Square
Best time to visit
Winter, Summer, Spring, Autumn, Monsoon
Situated at a height of 9,625 ft, Kareri Lake is a freshwater lake in the mountains of Dhauladhar range with greenery all around. Kareri Lake trek takes you on a journey through pine and oak forests and rocky grasslands. Kareri trek is one the best weekend departures for people who are looking for a perfect adventure in a short duration of time.
The trek to Kareri Lake starts from Mcelodganj from where you’ll be taken to Kareri village in a shared vehicle. The flora of the trek changes as you go up. You’ll start through pine and oak forests and transition slowly into grasslands. There will be a few water streams on your way. Once you reach the top, you’ll be mesmerized by the reflection of Dhauladhar range on Kareri Lake.
Note- If you are a group of 2 or more people, the trek can be organized anyday.
Kareri Lake trek distance: 20 km
Kareri Lake trek temperature:
Winter- Dec to Feb: 8 to 10 degree in day, 0 to -5 degree at night
Spring- Mar to Apr: 15 to 20 degree in day, 0 to 5 degree at night
Summer- May to June: 18 to 24 degree in day, 3 to 8 degree at night
Autumn- Sept to Nov: 10 to 15 degree in day, 0 to 3 degree at night
Kareri Lake trek best time: November to April
Kareri Lake height: 9,625 ft
Kareri Lake trek difficulty: Easy
Day 1: Mcleodganj to Kareri Village
- Pickup from Mcleodganj
- Drive to Kareri Village and trek to Kareri lake
- Trek distance: 10 km
- Altitude: 4,780 ft to 7,210 ft to 9,625 ft
- Approximate time: 4-5 hours
- Meals: Lunch, Dinner
Day2: Kareri Lake to Kareri Village and drive to Mcleodganj
Day 1: Mcleoodganj to Kareri Village
- Start your drive to Kareri Village from Mcleodganj in a shared vehicle in the morning(around 10 AM)
- After reaching, your trek leader will brief you about the trek to Kareri lake.
- A trek of 10 kms will begin that will take you to Kareri lake.
- You will be provided with packed lunch on the way.
- Reach the campsite situated only a few hundred meters away from the lake.
- Explore the lake and surroundings.
- Have dinner and retire for the night in camps.
Day 2: Kareri Lake to Kareri Village and drive to Mcleodganj
- After having breakfast, spend some time exploring areas around the Lake.
- Start your journey back to Kareri Village.
- Reach Kareri Village and get transferred to Mcleodganj.
How to reach?
By Air: Gaggal Airport or Kangra Airport at Dharamshala is about 20 km away from McLeod Ganj and is well connected to Delhi, Kullu and Chandigarh. Airlines like Air India Regional, SpiceJet Airlines operate regular flights from these cities for Dharmshala. After reaching the airport, traveler can hire taxis or take buses to reach their destination, which takes around an hour.
By Train: Pathankot Railway Station, situated approximately 90 km away, is the closest broad gauge railhead serving those headed to McLeod Ganj. Some of the popular trains available.
By Road: A number of state owned and private buses connect McLeod Ganj with other cities like Delhi (500 km), Chandigarh (250 km) and Dharamshala (20 km). In New Delhi, most of the buses leave from the Kashmiri Gate ISBT and Majnu-ka-Tilla (a Tibetian camp). Deluxe buses of Himachal Pradesh Tourism are also available from Himachal Bhawan. One can also drive to McLeod Ganj from Delhi via NH 1, a journey of about 10 hours.
Things to Carry
- Rucksack (Min 55 Ltrs with rain cover)
- Trekking Shoes, Floaters or Sandals
- Quick Dry Tees
- Track Pants
- Cotton socks
- Pair of woolen socks
- Rain jacket or Poncho
- 1 Full Sleeves Sweater or Fleece Jacket,1 Heavy Jacket, 1 Pair of Thermal
- Quick-dry towel
- Windproof Jacket
- Woolen Cap
- Sun Cap
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & SunScreen (SPF 40+)
- Packed food
- Water Bottle 1
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toiletries
- Personal Basic Medical Kit
- People who use spectacles (Use Photochromic glasses instead of contact lenses)
- Trekking Pole
- Extra Polythene
Kareri Lake trek package inclusions:
- An experienced and licensed Kareri Lake trek guide
- Support staff to help and guide you throughout your trek
- First aid kit
- Veg Meals (Lunch and dinner of day 1, Breakfast on day 2)
Kareri Lake trek package exclusions:
- Personal essentials
- Equipment- Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
- Insurance- Personal and travel insurances
- Beverage- Mineral water bottles, bottled or canned beverages
- Snacks- Chocolates, dry fruits, protein, or nutrition bars
- Entertainment- Camera or drone fees
- In case your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure" or due to personal reasons after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you
- Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the trekkers
- Loading and unloading of personnel luggage
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
- Anything that is not mentioned in inclusions.
Rent gear: You can reduce the hassle of buying gear like trek pants, jackets, shoes and rent them for the trek at an additional cost.
Guests must be vaccinated with both doses of Covid vaccine.
The organization reserves the rights to modify the trek during any emergencies or natural calamities.
In unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, the trek may get canceled or altered. In such cases, the operator will try to provide with an alternate option. However, a cash refund will not be applicable in this situation.
If cancellation is made 30 days before the date of travel, 25% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
If cancellation is made 15 to 30 days before the date of travel, 50% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
If cancellation is made 0 to 15 days before the date of travel, 100% of the total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees
The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Kareri Lake trek best time is from May to June and from September to November. The trek needs to be avoided in the months of Monsoon and in winters due to heavy snow.
The Kareri Lake trek difficulty level is easy and is a perfect option for beginners who don’t want to invest many days in trekking.
The Kareri Lake weather during your trek remains pleasant. The temperature drops when it rains. It usually gets a little windy in the daytime.
The trek is led by professional Kareri Lake trek guides who have completed basic and advanced mountaineering courses. There will be one guide who leads the group and another guide who will be walking at the end of the group.
The Kareri Lake height is 9,625 ft. You’ll start from Mcleodganj which is situated at an altitude of 4,780 ft. Then you’ll reach Kareri village situated at a height of 7,210 ft. From Kareri village, you’ll climb to the maximum altitude of the trek which is 9,625 ft.
Absolutely. The safety of girls is of foremost importance to us. We always create a friendly environment on the trek. All our guides and other support crew are carefully chosen for your trips who are very honest and reliable.
No. Female trekkers share tents with female co-trekkers. If you are the only girl on the Kareri Lake trek, you get a separate tent for yourself
The total Kareri Lake trek distance covered by you is 20 km. You will trek 10 km on your day 1 from Kareri Village to the lake. Then on day 2, you’ll trek back for 10 km from the lake to Kareri village.
The age group for the trek is 8 to 60 years.
Vegetarian Indian food is served during the trek making sure that you have enough energy to continue your trek.
The best suited shoes for the Kareri Lake trek route are the ones that are breathable and light in weight. Also, ankle support is also a very important thing to take care of while buying the perfect pair of shoes. You can go for brands like- Decathlon, Wildcraft, Quechua, etc. In the winters, you’ll require gators or gumboots which you can rent from the base village.